November 18, 2008

Where Do I Go With This?

This is one of those posts where I don't know how it's going to turn out until I finish. Bear with me as I work my way through this.

I follow a number of blogs about frugality, money management, and simple living. Recently, through my readings, I was pointed to a brand new blog. The first two posts offered well-written and refreshing takes on determining value in one's life, specific to managing one's financial resources. I eagerly awaited the next. I checked it out this morning, and there it was! The title of this blogger's most recent post is "Proposing a Celebration."

I despaired to read that this poster had an opinion about gay marriage that not only differed from mine, but was badly presented. The celebration he proposed was in honor of self-restraint, as in, if you're homosexual, you can be proud of yourself for not acting on your "tendencies."

Damn, he made me mad!

Read his post here (http://thecircular.blogspot.com/2008/11/proposing-celebration.html). I left a comment; then, unsatisfied, I left another. Comments #2 and #3 are mine -- unless he takes them down. I posted anonymously only because I couldn't for some reason log in, and I was afraid my comments would burn a hole through me if I held off long enough to work out the technical kinks.

So, now I'm left with this. Here is an anonymous someone with some thoughts I value, and some I abhor. I can, if I choose, stop reading this person's blog. I haven't decided yet, but I do have that choice.

But what if someone I love deeply holds opinions similar to Circular Ruins? How do I balance that? This isn't a simple "you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to" issue. This is where I live. This is fundamental to my being. Can I wrap my arms around them and hold them lovingly, and still allow that huge difference?

Here's the hard part: If I'm going to walk my talk, I'm going to have to make room for this. Not just with my close loved ones, but for strangers as well.

Damn, this is hard.

1 comment:

SeƱor Bozo said...

It's a good question, and if you can figure out an answer, the Episcopal church (of which I am a member) would be delighted to hear it.